by Vidyottama Rawat
‘Athletics’ is a collection of sporting events, mostly track and field events, including running races and various competitions in throwing and jumping. As opposed to most sports, athletics is an individual event, with the exception of relay. The morning of 28th April started off with this sport of athletics, marking the beginning of the 5th day of MIST. MIST athletics consists of 6 events, which are held separately in both the Men’s and Women’s categories – The relay race, 1500m, 400m, 200m, 100m, Shot put, Discus throw, Javelin and Long jump. Held in the MIT sports ground, participants could be seen stretching and warming up, as they geared up to give their all in the battle field. As the temperatures soared, the atmosphere got tenser with the athletes ready to set the track ablaze with their energy, all eyes on the coveted first spot.
- 1500m (M&W) – The first event of the day was the men’s 1500 metre race, shortly followed by the same event in the women’s category. All the participants started steady, saving their energy for the last couple of hundred metres. Pawan Kumar of AFMC who landed the first spot in the men’s category finished the race in merely 4 minutes 42 seconds.
Results (Men’s 1500m)
- Pawan Kumar – AFMC – 04:42
- Rahul Singh – AFMC – 04:51
- Yashas A. Gamkar – M.S. Ramaiah – 05:09
Results (Women’s 1500m)
- Harsha Akula – KMC, MPL – 08:03
- Mahima Advaitha – KMC, MLR – 08:31
- Talluri Sreesuguna – JSSMC – 08:45
- Shot put (M&W) – In this event, the participants had to “put” a heavy weighted ball as far as they could by holding it at their neck and pushing it through the air. It was judged on the basis of the distance of the ball thrown.
Results (Men’s Shot put)
- Varun – JSSMC – 11.77m
- Alin Ayoob – MMC, Calicut – 10.65m
- Rakesh M.N. – MMC, Mysore – 10.47m
Results (Women’s Shot put)
- Rachana Kotian – KMC, MPL – 6.93m
- Nidhi Chandrashekhar – M.S. Ramaiah – 6.62m
- Nivedha D – M.S. Ramaiah – 6.61m
- Discus throw (M&W) – In this event, the athletes threw a heavy disc, called a discus, in an attempt to mark a farther distance than their competitors.
Results (Men’s Discus)
- Alin Ayoob – Malabar Medical College – 32.55m
- Dr. Varun M. – JSSMC – 32.31m
- Akshay P. – AFMC – 24.61m
Results (Women’s Discus)
- Rachana Kotian – KMC, MPL – 20.15m
- Rashmi Raparala – Sri Devraj VMC – 17.67m
- Karthyayani – KMC,MPL – 15.43m
- Javelin throw (M&W) – In this event, the javelin, a spear about 2.5m in length was thrown by the athletes after running within a predetermined area to gain momentum.
Results (Men’s Javelin)
- Rakesh M.N. – MMC, Mysore – 41.75m
- Dr. Varun M. – JSSMC – 41.65m
- Gils Thampi – KMC, MPL – 41.40m
Results (Women’s Javelin)
- Madhuri – JSSMC – 17.70m
- Rachana Kotian – KMC, MPL – 17.50m
- Krishnaveni M. – PSG – 16.68m
- Long jump (M&W) – This event saw the athletes combining speed, strength and agility in an attempt to leap as far as possible from a take-off point.
Results (Men’s Long jump)
- Jeswanth Reddy – JSSMC – 6.15m
- Khinvraj Singh – JSSMC – 5.68m
- Shaik Mohammed Junaid – KMC, MPL – 5.57m
Results (Women’s Long Jump)
- Karthyayani – KMC, MPL – 3.74m
- Anusha K.M. – JSSMC – 3.45m
- Yashaswinee – KMC, MPL – 3.35m
- 400m Race (M&W) – In this sprinting event, the runners started in staggered positions and raced in separate lanes for the entire course.
Results (Men’s 400m)
- Stephen Sebastian – AFMC – 57.09s
- M. Aravin – JSSMC – 58.17s
- Akshay P. – AFMC – 58.43s
Results (Women’s 400m)
- Mahima Advaitha – KMC, MLR – 01:18.39
- Gabrielaa – KMC. MLR – 01:20.63
- Divya S. – Srinivas – 01:25.65
- 200m race – Athletes could be seen using good technique and putting all their energy into the 200 metre sprint.
Results (Men’s 200m)
- Anthony Ofulah – KMC,MPL – 24.07s
- Aneesh Unnikrishnan – AFMC – 24.31s
- M. Aravind – JSSMC – 24.37s
Results (Women’s 200m)
- Mahima Advaitha – KMC, MLR – 32.26s
- Samhita Rajesh – PSG – 33.74s
- Viji – PSG – 34.66s
- 100m race – The 100 metre race was a test of raw speed with all the racers putting their best foot forward.
Results (Men’s 100m)
- Vedant Shetty – K.S. Hegde – 11.57s
- M. Aravind – JSSMC – 12.02s
- Stephem Sebastian – AFMC – 12.35s
Results (Women’s 100m)
- Samhita Rajesh – 15.87s
- Nivedha S. – 15.91s
- Gabriella – 15.94s
- The Relay Race (4x100m) – Consisting of a team of 4 sprinters, the relay race marked the end of athletics for MIST 2017. Each sprinter ran a distance of 100 metres carrying a baton in their hand, before passing it onto the next runner. The KMC Men’s team consisted of Tarun Shankar, Shaik Mohammad Junaid, Anthony Ofulah and Manthan Arora while the women’s team was represented by Aashna Bhatia, Karthyayani, Hannah Mathew and Sitara Niranjan.
Results (Men’s Relay)
- AFMC – 47.41s
- JSSMC – 48.24s
- PSG – 50.55s
Results (Women’s Relay)
- PSG – 1.04.37
- KMC, MPL – 1.07.56
- KMC, MLR – 1.10.21